The cornea is the clear front windshield of the eye. It is responsible for two-thirds of the focusing power of the eye. When the cornea is damaged from injury or disease it can cause significant loss of vision.
Conditions that affect the Cornea
- Keratoconus (progressive thinning of the cornea)
- Fuchs’ Dystrophy (progressive loss of endothelial cells)
- Bullous Keratopathy (small corneal blisters)
- Corneal scarring from injury or chemical burns
- Corneal ulcers (infections due to bacteria, viruses or fungi)
- Map Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy
- Salzmann’s Nodular Degeneration
If the cornea becomes damaged and vision is limited, a corneal transplant may be done to help restore some sight.
What To Expect At Your Corneal Evaluation:
A corneal evaluation will encompass everything that our comprehensive eye exam does plus several additional tests:
- Orbscan corneal scanning
- Ultrasound pachymetry
- Endothelial cell count
Please allow 90 to 120 minutes for this examination.
Call 816.746.9800 to schedule a corneal evaluation.