Blepharitis is a common, chronic inflammatory condition of the eyelids and eyelashes.
It is often broken down into two types and many patients suffer from both:
- Anterior Blepharitis
- Posterior Blepharitis (commonly referred to as Meibomian Gland Dysfunction)
- eyelid or eyelash crusting
- itching of eyelid margin
- eyelid margin redness and thickening
anterior blepharitis scales
Patient symptoms and a slit lamp examination can lead to identifying if you have blepharitis.
For those suffering from blepharitis daily lid hygiene is the hallmark of therapy. Classically lid hygiene (lid scrubbing) has involved using baby shampoo and scrubbing the eyelashes and eyelid margin clean on a daily basis.
There are now a whole host of products specifically developed for the cleaning of the eyelid margin:
- Ocusoft Lid Scrub Foam Original (rinse off formulation)
- Ocusoft Lid Scrub Foam Plus (leave on formulation)
- Ocusoft Lid Scrub Premoistened Pads
- Avenova Lid Cleaner
In more severe and recalcitrant cases topical antibiotic ointment or topical antibiotic/steroid combination ointments may be used in addition to the lid hygiene therapy.